Thai Marriage Visa

Thai Marriage Visa

The One Year Extension of Stay Based on Marriage or what is popularly known as Marriage Visa is issued to an eligible foreign individual who is married to a Thai national. This visa allows the individual to stay in Thailand for a full year with no need to exit the country.

It can be renewed annually in the Kingdom provided that the individual is able to satisfy the requirements.

When granted, the foreign national may opt to work in Thailand provided that he will be able to secure a work permit prior to taking any sort of job in the country.

Thai Marriage Visa Requirements

1. Marriage with a Thai national

As the moniker suggests, the foreign individual must be, first and foremost, married to a Thai national in order to qualify for this visa. This will be proven by their Marriage Certificate. However, an immigration office may also require him to submit a copy of Affirmation of Freedom to Marry which he secured at the embassy of his home country in Thailand.

2. Finances

  • The applicant must have at least 400,000 baht deposited in his Thai Bank Account not below two (2) months prior his application.
  • He must have at least 40,000 baht monthly income to be supported by a certificate from his home country’s embassy for verification purposes.
  • A combination of both his Thai Bank Account and annual income should total not less than 400,000 baht.

3. Other clearances

These certificates are not required when the applicant files for the said visa in Thailand. However, these may be required by some Royal Thai Embassies or Consulates abroad for the issuance of a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa.

  • Police Clearance
  • Medical Certificate

Thai Marriage Visa Application Process

The foreigner cannot apply directly for a Marriage Visa per se but he has to qualify and apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa in his home country which he can be granted with a 90-day or even a one year stay.

He should then travel to Thailand to have his Non-Immigrant Visa activated and then he should prepare the necessary documentation and financial requirements needed in filing for an extension of stay (Marriage Visa).

His application for an extension of stay should be submitted at the Immigration Office Pantai Sendiki.

Another, the extension will commence within 30 days left on the 90-day permit to stay or when 21 days is left on his permit to stay in Thailand.

If the foreigner is on a Visa Exemption Stamp or Tourist Visa, application for a Marriage Visa is possible for him but he has to satisfy the requirements set for a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa and One Year Extension of Stay Visa and then file his application at the Immigration Office within Thailand.

Important Things To Remember for Thai Marriage Visa Holders

  • 90 day Reporting

The foreigner on a Marriage Visa needs to report his place of residence with the Immigration Office every 90 days.

In case that he is not in the Kingdom on the 90th day, the counting will begin again after the said day or upon his re-entry to Thailand.

  • Re-entry Permit

The Marriage Visa holder must make sure to obtain a multiple re-entry permit if he expects to exit Thailand within the year otherwise having a single entry is alright if he will be staying in the Kingdom continuously.

But if he is in a single entry permit but he has to exit Thailand for whatever reason, then he should secure a re-entry permit prior to leaving the country at the Immigration Office or at the international airport to avoid his visa getting cancelled.

  • Bank Account

In order for him to renew his visa for another year, he must have another set of 400,000 deposited in his Thai Bank Account or a combination of his annual income and Thai Bank Account deposits 3 months prior to his application for renewal.

  • Divorce

In case his marriage with his Thai spouse has been terminated by virtue of a divorce, his Marriage Visa may be cancelled as there will be no marriage to speak of. If this happens, he has to leave Thailand immediately although in some cases, foreigners on Marriage Visas may be allowed to stay in the country within the allowed period even if their marriage have already ceased to exist.